Maureen Bedard


Maureen Bedard is an animal advocate involved with rescuing abandoned animals in Monmouth County, NJ. During the day while Maureen is in Manhattan working she frequently journey’s out to the streets (at lunch time) to feed and cloth the homeless and in most cases catering the needs of the homeless dogs. Maureen’s endless efforts in helping our community did not stop there. When Maureen is not out rescuing she collects what some people consider garbage and sells them at a yard sale to raise money for the shelter animals. Early this year, Maureen joined massage2wellness as team leader for the dog rescue team which she created.

One of two successful events:

Spring yard sale on Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 289 Broad Street in Eatontown. 

The proceeds will be used to sponsor Boomer at the MCSPCA 12th Annual Pet Walk on October 1, 2005. There will also be another yard sale in September.


Annual Pet Walk and Fair, Marine Park, Red Bank, October 1, 2005

In 2005, Maureen ranked 3rd place in raising money for this shelter. Maureen’s goal this year is to double her efforts in 2005. 12th Annual Pet Walk & Fair Results Held at Monmouth County SPCA (MCSPCA) - Saturday, October 1, 2005 We raised $7,653.00 and $600 of this went to Best Friends Animal Society. Sponsored by Massage2Wellness


We supported the MCSPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) a not-for-profit organization that relies solely on donations from the public to care for the homeless, abused and abandoned animals at their shelter. THEY DO NOT EUTHANIZE ADOPTABLE PETS. Maureen was a volunteer during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina transporting pets from New Jersey to Rhode Island through Pet Transfer. 


Maureen writes; I have always loved animals, particularly dogs. My family always had a dog when I was growing up and I can’t imagine my life without a dog or two of my own. I currently have two dogs. They are both shelter rescues as I am a strong supporter of animal adoption through shelters and strongly oppose buying animals from pet stores. 


One of my favorite stories is how I met Sparkle, the homeless dog. I met Sparkle in 2001, shortly after relocating to midtown following the attacks on the World Trade Center. Sparkle belongs to a homeless man. I first met her and her person while they were panhandling outside St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I relocated downtown in 2003, but continue to help pay for Sparkle’s license renewal every year as well as buy her treats, a new winter coat every year, boots and toys and I visit her twice a week. Her person is still homeless, but Sparkle spends her days at a newsstand on 7th Avenue and many nights with the owner of the newsstand at her home.


In October 2005, I flew to Baton Rouge, LA where I rented a car and drove to Tylertown, Mississippi. In Tylertown, I worked as a volunteer at an animal shelter caring for dogs that were rescued from New Orleans and other areas hit by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. My time in Tylertown was both rewarding and sad. I spent my days feeding and walking dogs, cleaning their kennels, chasing after dogs that either escaped their kennels or got away from the person walking them, and washing dog bowls (lots and lots of dog bowls). The days went by quickly as there were 65+ dogs and only a handful of volunteers. Most of the dogs were friendly and I wanted to take them all home when I left. But one particular dog caught my attention. He was an older chow/shepherd mix who wore a red, leather collar with a current rabies tag attached. When I returned home, I was able to track down his owners through his rabies tag. They had died in the flood. However, the daughter wanted to take the dog home to live with her. I arranged transportation for him to travel to home. This dog had lived through two hurricanes, floods and toxic waters for several weeks before he was brought to the shelter. After I left the shelter and before he was to be transported home, he began to show signs of aggressive behavior at the shelter and was moved to a local animal hospital to be boarded. In 4 ˝ short hours after arriving at the animal hospital, he was “mistakenly” euthanized. The tragic death of this precious dog makes me wonder about the organizations that are supposed to be protecting them. I am working with the daughter and others to help bring justice to those responsible for the tragic death of King.

Currently, I have signed up with my local animal shelter to become a canine adoption counselor. This is a perfect match for me as I love dogs and enjoy working with the public. As a canine adoption counselor, I will help match dogs with the families that are perfect for them. I will also be working one-on-one with dogs to help make them more adoptable.